Saturday, August 15, 2009

Charlize Theron says nudity is no big deal

Interviewed in the upcoming September issue of Vogue magazine, Charlize Theron says she doesn't have any problem disrobing on film.

“That isn’t about me,” she says, as quoted by Access Hollywood. “I don’t look at the movie and go, ‘Jesus, my ass is really saggy.’”

Theron will appear totally naked in the upcoming movie "The Burning Plain." The Upcoming Nude Scenes blog already has a clip of the scene posted on their website (how do they do that?), and it looks great. Of course, Charlize Theron would look great nude in a garbage dump. I don't have photographic evidence of that, but I have every confidence it would be true.

Charlize has the advantage of being totally drop dead gorgeous to boost her self esteem. But we all know that beauty doesn't have anything to do with self esteem, and there are plenty of beautiful actresses who categorically refuse to appear nude on screen. Others are game for anything if it advances a good story, even if they aren't classically handsome: Kathy Bates in "About Schmidt" comes to mind, in my opinion one of the better nude scenes on film that year, if only for the knowing glint in Bates's eye, just daring you to raise your eyebrows. And for the look on Jack Nicholson's character's face, as he tries to look everywhere but at her.

My favorite this year is Kate Winslet in "The Reader," an extraordinary film that has Winslet appearing totally nude multiple times in all of her glory. I've always admired Winslet's candor on film, especially since she doesn't possess a typically skeletal Hollywood body. (She says she's going to hang it up, but I'll believe it when I don't see it.) Lately her age has begun to show as well; her breasts sag more in "The Reader" than they did even a few years ago in, say, "Iris." But she is who she is, and she's unashamed of any of it, even if she has wider curves, thicker hair (you know what I mean), and some signs of age. That's what makes her so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment